Thursday, April 4, 2013

Interactive Whiteboards in Today's Classroom

    Interactive whiteboards have been a part of my life since I was in seventh grade and my middle school decided to spend the money on the new high-tech boards. Therefore, I am quite partial to them and have been very familiarized with them throughout my middle and high school careers. I specifically remember when I was a sophomore in high school, we had to do a research project and it had to be specifically designed to conform to an interactive whiteboard. I really liked the project and wanted to learn how to do more with them in my classes.
    In SEDU 183, I liked learning about the different of boards apart from just the SMART boards that I was accustomed to. I also liked learning about there were different earlier models of interactive whiteboards.
Although the movable ones do not seem that practical for kids to write on, it would be nice to have one like that because you could move it to different locations as just a plain white board as well. I also liked learning about the boards with the built-in projectors that eliminate unnecessary shadows that could block what you're trying to put on the screen.
  These are all pros of why interactive whiteboards would be good in the classroom but some cons do exist as well. I think differentiation would be hard to achieve because if you already have a set whiteboard program, all students' needs may not be met. It would be great for visual and maybe even auditory learners but for hands-on tactile learners it would not be as good. I do not think that tactile learners would get as good of a use out of the interactive whiteboards that visual learners would.
http://www.prometheanworld.com/us/english/education/products/interactive-whiteboard-systems/

http://www.neamb.com/professional-resources/benefits-of-interactive-whiteboards.htm

http://konymusic.wordpress.com/2012/09/23/using-the-smart-board-to-teach-music-literacy/

1 comment:

  1. I like all of your positive feedback on IWB's do you have any thoughts about how IWB's would not be useful in a classroom?

    ReplyDelete